The Fight against Impunity since 1950:
Living up to the Nuremberg Principles?
15 and 16 October 2021
Does the common fight against impunity meet the Nuremberg Principles’ expectations and their formulation in 1950?
This conference will discuss the development of the legal framework envisaged in 1950, the Nuremberg legacies, and system or systems put in place to ensure long-lasting peace. International experts and practitioners will identify challenges in humanity’s common fight against impunity, in achieving sustainable peace through justice.
What is the framework enforcing the fight against impunity?
- Is the end-goal ending or fighting impunity for core international crimes? Where does one mark the distinction between the two?
- Which system/s are ensuring that the framework enforcing the fight against impunity is upheld and complied with?
Has the fight against impunity been living up to the Nuremberg Principles?
- What are the pertaining challenges in humanity’s common fight against impunity or towards sustainable peace?
- What are the best practices that can bolster the fight against impunity in line with the Nuremberg Principles?
About the Nuremberg Forum
The Nuremberg Forum is an annual international conference organised by the International Nuremberg Principles Academy (Nuremberg Academy). It brings together leading scholars, practitioners, policymakers, and civil society, and provides a forum for dialogue and critical exchange on contemporary international criminal law matters. Located in Nuremberg, the birthplace of modern international criminal law, the Nuremberg Academy offers a neutral space, and is thus an apt setting, for the necessary dialogue on the development of international criminal law and the implementation and interpretation of the Nuremberg Principles today.
TAKE PART IN THE DIALOGUE OF THE NUREMBERG FORUM
Utilise an opportunity to reflect on the Nuremberg Principles, the Nuremberg legacy/ies, the international criminal justice system, and the Rome Statute system through a more holistic lens of seeking accountability and ending impunity for core international crimes.
- Hear from experts in the field of international criminal law and their opinions on current challenges in the common fight against impunity and towards sustainable peace through justice.
- Share observations and discuss the development of international criminal law and the implementation and interpretation of the Nuremberg Principles today.
- Identify synergies and cooperation opportunities to help in the strengthening of accountability for core international crimes.
- Gain practical, expertise-based recommendations and innovative ideas towards addressing the raised and discussed challenges, fostering international criminal law.